Create Your First Event
In this article, we are going to walk you through all the steps of the event creation process. After reading this post, you should be able to create events in a few minutes.
IN THIS ARTICLE
Create a New Event
- Click on + new event on your Events dashboard.
- A side panel will open up.
You will then be able to:
- name your event
- edit the URL of the event
- choose the Speaking permissions (up to 9 people at the same time)
- add the date, the time, the timezone of your event
- add more sessions if needed (recurring event)
- add team members
You can also change all these settings after you created the event.
- Click on Create event when you're done.
- You'll be directed to the Event General Settings.
The Event General Settings
Once in the Event General Settings, you can edit the:
- Name of Your Event
- URL of Your Event
- Description of Your Event
- Speaking Permissions of Your Event
- Estimated Duration of Your Event
- Language of Your Event
Name of Your Event
Start with a catchy name. Like in blogging, your event name will have a great impact on your registration rate. You can refer to this post and this one to create great headlines. Our advice is to find something that will resonate with your audience's expectations and problems.
If you are selling an HR cloud solution, you might want to avoid the classic "[Solution] Live Demo" and try something like "How [Solution] Will Help You Keep Your ATS Filled With Rockstars".
The title will then appear on the social media images we generate, which will be displayed if you share your event on social media.
URL of Your Event
The URL might be too long or you might want to customize it. You can edit it but if you change it after you publish the event, people won't have access to your event anymore.
Description of Your Event
You'll be then directed to the Event Settings where you can add your description. What are you going to cover? Do you have a guest? Tell your audience why they should register for your event.
Livestorm Tip 👉 Announcing an incentive like a discount, an exclusive piece of content, a free 30 min consultation, will most probably increase your registration rate.
Speaking Permissions of Your Event
In this section, you can choose who will be allowed to speak during your event. This setting will be applied to all your sessions if you have several.
You have the choice between 2 speaking permission options.
If you choose:
- "only team members & guest speakers can speak", you'll still be able to invite attendees to speak in the room during the event.
- "everyone can speak", your attendees will be able to join the stage by clicking on the Join stage button in the room (up to 9 people at the same time). They won't need to be invited.
You won't be able to change the speaking permissions if your event has already started.
Someone under compatibility mode won't be able to speak in the room even though you gave the permission.
Estimated Duration of Your Event
This is purely informational, so visitors on the registration page will know about how long the event will be. The event will not stop if you hit the time selected. You may select 15min up to 3h and 45min. The actual event duration limit is 4 hours.
Language of Your Event
Doing your event for attendees all across the globe? Change the language of your event here as well. We will translate everything that is visible to your registrants and attendees: the landing page, the Event room, and the emails.
🌎 So far we handle 24 different languages: French, English, German, Croatian, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Korean, Danish, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian, Lithuanian, Czech, Turkish, Finnish, Slovenian, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Greek 🌍 Feel free to ask if you need another! You can get in touch with us at email@example.com
Date, Sessions & Timezone
You can edit these settings in the Sessions tab. Pick a date, time, and location. Make sure the date is in the future, otherwise you will get an error.
Once published, you will be able to edit the date and time. Do not change those parameters if you already have registrations. People may already have saved the calendar event on their calendars, etc.
While creating or adding new sessions, select the location that you will be running the event. We will adapt and display the timezone according to the timezone of your visitors and registrants. So anyone who views your registration page will see the date/time of your event in their own timezone. Same for the date/time in the automatic emails. No messy conversions on your end or your registrants!
If you wish to host recurring events with multiple sessions (same event and multiple dates) then just add as many sessions as you want. If this is a one-time event just leave one session. This will open up a side pane where you can add as many sessions as you need.
To learn more about sessions and recurring events, feel free to take a look at our dedicated article 👉 Recurring Events
Editing & deleting sessions
- Scroll your mouse over the session you'd like to edit or delete and click on Edit.
- You'll be able to update or delete your session in the popup. You may change the date and time of your session by clicking on it (under Sessions):
If people have already registered for a session, you won't be able to delete that specific session. Instead, you can cancel it. This way, all remaining emails will be canceled as well. If a person tries to connect to the Event room for that session, s/he will be redirected to a page stating that the event is canceled.
Edit Your Profile
The team members with the host role can start or end events. In order to view or update the host profile, click Edit and it will redirect you to Settings > My Profile. Click on any of the fields to update your personal information. Your profile information will apply to all your past and upcoming events.
Click on any of the fields to update your profile.
We send the email invites & reminders through firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, but there is a "reply-to" with the account owner's email. If you want to change the "reply-to" email address, you can go to your Settings > Team profile and add a "Contact email".
There are two kinds of contributors: team members & guest speakers. Both have moderation rights to moderate each event or session that they are assigned to. They can help you manage your events for a smooth event sailing ⛵️
🎙 Team members can be added when you create the event, or later on from the Sessions tab > Edit session. If you add multiple sessions at once, you can add the same team members to all of these sessions. Then you can individually modify each session to add team members who will contribute to one session but not another.
🎙 Guest speakers are added from the Sessions tab > Edit session. They can't be added while creating a new session. They can only be added to an existing session.
Please see here for more details: How to add contributors
All of your contributors will have event moderation rights by default. Moderation rights include (but not limited to), deleting messages, excluding attendees, sending polls, joining the stage without being invited, etc.
You can add team members to your Livestorm account in your Account settings > Team members. When you add them to your Livestorm account, you can select from one of two main roles: Host and Moderator.
Assign team members to the event so they can access the room
Once a team member is added to your account, you can assign them to your events from the Sessions sidepane (Sessions > edit session > Team members). You'll be able to select them when you click on +add a team member.
How they access the room
If they're assigned to the event or session, they'll be able to access the Event room from their Livestorm dashboard. We won't send them any confirmation emails or reminders with an access link like we do for the guest speakers.
Team member rights
Added team members can access the Livestorm dashboard. They can display and export all event data as well as manage registrations and delete registrants. They will also be able to moderate the event: delete questions, publish polls, invite people on stage, ...
Team members with a "Moderator" role won't be able to create, edit, start or end events. Also, they won't be able to access the event settings and won't be able to email invites. This is something that's only possible with the Host role.
If you want to add contributors to your event, but not give them access to your Events dashboard, you can add them as Guest speakers. Guest speakers typically apply in cases you'd like to invite people outside of your company to speak at your event.
They'll be able to join the Event room before it starts through their personal link they'll receive by email. They will also be able to moderate the event: delete questions, publish polls, invite people on stage, and more!
The differences between roles
Here are a few specifics about hosts, contributors, and attendees:
- Host (Team member): A team member with the host role is in charge of running the event, s/he is the only role that can start and end the event.
- Moderator (Team member): A team member with the moderator role can enter the Event room before it starts. They can view the event dashboard and moderate events that they are assigned to.
- Guest speakers: People who are not part of your team but will present in the event or help moderate. They can enter the room before it starts and moderate events they are added to.
- Attendees: Attendees are just viewers by default. They interact with others via the chat or questions only once the event is live. They cannot see each other, they cannot share their webcam or audio. However, they can be invited "on stage" at
anytimeby team members and guest speakers.
Please see our dedicated article on role differences for a detailed list of actions, but here are the basics of who can do what during the event:
|Team member (host)||Team member (moderator)||Guest speakers||Attendees|
|Enter the room before the event starts?||✅||✅||✅||❌|
|Start or end the event?||✅||❌||❌||❌|
|Share their webcam/screen (join the stage)?||✅||✅||✅||❌*|
|Invite someone on stage?||✅||✅||✅||❌|
|Moderate chat, questions, etc.?||✅||✅||✅||❌|
|Kick out a participant?||✅||✅||✅||❌|
|See chat messages from everyone?||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Ask questions?|| ✅
|Send a CTA?||✅||✅||✅||❌|
|See the people tab when hidden?||✅||✅||✅||❌|
*Note that attendees can share audio/video if they are invited on stage.
Switch a registrant into a team member/guest speaker
If someone from your team has already registered before you've had a chance to add them as contributors, you can change that. You'll just need to delete them as a registrant from your event in the People dashboard first, and then you can add them as a contributor.
Green Room: Test Before You Go Live
As a host or contributor, before you start your event, you can access the room and do several things. You can turn on camera,
Just access the room and don't click on the Start event button. Make sure you have the "Not started yet" label at all time. If you click on Start event the notification emails will fire to all your registrants. You may find more information about the green room here.
Create Your Registration Form
The registration form will help you capture information before the event, during the registration process. By default, we require email, first name, and last name. You can also add more:
- Click on "selected fields" to pick other default fields such as city, phone number, address, etc.
- You can also create custom fields.
- Drag and drop the fields to reorder your form content.
- Click on the checkbox to make the field mandatory.
- You can add your own custom consent as an option.
Check out our related article for more information 👉 How Do I Customize my Registration Form?
Customize Your Events
In this section, we give you the options to customize your Registration page, email and Event room with your branding. Here are the few things that you can customize:
- The cover image (will be converted to black and white and have the secondary color as a layer on it) (Optimal size is 1600x600px)
- The logo (will override the company logo that is present in your account information) (Optimal size is 400x120px). If you don't add a logo, we'll grab the one from your account information (120x120px)
- The background color which is used on the header
- The background and font color of your buttons
- The overall font color of your page and emails
Want to hide some things during the event? Go to your Event room settings. This is where everything happens. Check the checkboxes to hide the tabs you don't want to appear in the Event room. Some can also be set as private (only visible to hosts and contributors).
Thanks to our preview mode, you'll see that you'll be able to see the changes that you make on the Event room directly.
This is what you can and cannot do with the tabs:
| Make private?
||Hide tab completely?|
|Polls|| ❌ (
Automatic Email Settings
In this section, you can pick which notification emails you want to be sent to registrants. Hover over the right hand side and click on the - to remove the email if you don't want to send one.
The emails are:
- Confirmation email (sent when registrant registers)
- Reminder email (sent about 1 hour before the event)
Eventis starting (sent 5min. beforeor at the moment you start the event)
- Thank you (sent as soon as you end the event to people who joined during the live)
- Didn't show up (sent as soon as you end the event to people who didn't show up during the live)
To preview or edit the email you can click on Preview or edit:
⬆️Click on Edit content to change the subject, preheader text, message, button text, or button link ⬇️
You can even add additional custom emails with different timings than these five.
Set Up Your Integrations
You can send your event registrants and/or attendees to other tools via this section
Publish Your Event
You can now publish your event!
Once you publish your event:
- your registration page is live and you can start inviting people to your event.
- the confirmation email is sent to guest speakers added on the event (if you add guest speakers when the event is already published, they will receive their confirmation email as soon as you add them).
You can still edit your event settings and changes will be reflected on your landing page immediately. We do not send notifications if you change the date/time or cancel the event.