Enable RTMP Streaming in Your Event
RTMP, which stands for Real-Time Messaging Protocol, is a TCP-based protocol that ensures you a smooth streaming experience. At Livestorm, we're using AWS IVS service that can accommodate RTMP ingestion and conversion to a live HLS stream with very low latency (~5s) and Full HD resolution (up to 1080p). If you're using professional audio and video production setups, you might want to use RTMP streaming for your events. In this article, we're going to explain to you how to enable RTMP streaming on your Livestorm event sessions and how to set up your live video streaming software.
This feature is only available for Enterprise Customers.
Event sessions with RTMP streaming enabled can be recorded. 👌
Please note that there are some limitations when enabling RTMP streaming for your events:
- You can't have multiple speakers.
- You can't invite someone to speak.
- You can't share your screen or media files.
- Event sessions have a 4h limit (like non-RTMP streaming events).
In this article
Enable RTMP Streaming in Livestorm
You can enable RTMP streaming directly from your dashboard.
Enabling RTMP streaming won't be working if you've already hosted a session of the same event without RTMP.
- Go to your Event > Settings > Video settings and enable "Allow stream override with your RTMP source".
- Go to your Sessions. Now, on each session, you can see the RTMP icon showing if it's enabled or disabled. Click on it to enable your RTMP source on this specific session.
- Check the "Enable RTMP source" box.
- Your RTMP source is now enabled on this specific session. 🎉
Set Up Your Live Video Streaming Software
Once you've enabled your RTMP source on your Livestorm event session, you can go to your live video streaming software like OBS, XSplit, etc. We're using OBS for this tutorial but the setup is pretty similar on any other similar software. 😉
- Open OBS and click on Settings.
- Click on Stream. In the "Service" dropdown menu, select Custom, copy your Livestorm Server URL and your Livestorm Stream API Key (click on the RTMP icon on your Event Session to open the side panel with this information).
- Don't forget to click on Ok to save your settings. 😉
Host a Livestorm Event With RTMP Streaming
Once you've enabled your RTMP source on your Livestorm Event Session and you've set up your live video streaming software with it, you can start hosting your event with RTMP streaming.
Livestorm Tip 👉 Start streaming a few minutes before your live event to make sure everything works perfectly. 😉
- Click on Start Streaming on your live video streaming software (we're using OBS here).
- You need to start streaming before joining your event room, otherwise, the RTMP stream won't be detected. It might take up to 20 seconds before the stream is detected in your event room.
- Go to your event room and that's it! You can now Start your event. 🎉
- Note that RTMP streaming implies a 5-second audio and video latency.
No RTMP Stream Detected
If you see the following screen when joining your event room, it either means that:
- You need to wait for a few seconds (might take up to 20 seconds) and refresh your page.
- You haven't started streaming with your live video streaming software before joining the room.
- Your RTMP source hasn't been set up correctly in your live video streaming software.
Attendees See a Black Screen in the Room
If your attendees see a black screen in the room and no stream, ask them to refresh their page and it should be working again. 👌